Friday, December 18, 2009

Oh Bugger!

One of the people I recently started to follow on twitter asks...

Do you cuss?

Excellent question. Cuss words are cultural. Some words we use everyday in America are quite vulgar in other cultures. Likewise, some cuss words in other cultures are no big deal to us.

That said to point out, it is not the word.

I grew up with an alcoholic dad that used the ‘big’ cuss words all the time. Thus they were ingrained into my vocabulary. I use them often, not out of anger or hate, just as words, adjectives, verbs, what have you.

I lived with many years of shame from the ‘religious’ telling me how evil and bad I was to use such words. I tried with all my might to stop. it never worked.


When I finally realized how much God loves me (yes even After becoming a Christian), that He was in the business of restoring and healing my heart (not washing my mouth out with soap). I was able to let go of the shame, and the effort, and simply rest in Him doing what He does best. (If that makes sense to you.)

Do I still cuss? Yep. But God loves me and is still restoring and healing my heart! (Rom 8)

Rocco
Rohon!