Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lightning bug ears and starfish poop...

The other night my family and I were driving home from a friends house when my youngest daughter Lauren asks "How do you leave the world?" I was a little confused for a moment, but after some questions to get more info from her, we understood that she was asking how, say, an astronaut gets into outer space. (Of course, thinking to myself, I immediately had a short list of those I'd like to see leave the world. Oh, and a short list of those that seemed to have already left. ;) ) Anyway, it was cute. And we had a fun time explaining it the best we could.

Then last night the same daughter asked "Do caterpillars have spines (bones)? - "Do lightning bugs have ears?" - "Do starfish poop?" How adorable, what a treasure! I sat down with her for a spell at the pc and we looked up the questions on the web. We did find out that caterpillars do not have bones they have an exoskeleton. And although we couldn't find a definitive answer on lightning bug ears, lots of bug do have them. Just in weird places you wouldn't think of, like just below their knees, or right between their eyes. Apparently grandma already confirmed that starfish do poop.

What a delight! I really felt a joy in my heart as Lauren and I sat there together reading about that stuff. I thought, this must be how God feels when we spend time with Him. Actually, I felt His delight, in that moment, in being with me - with us.



Rocco